Morris Memorial Building / Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Nashville Alumnae Chapter
Morris Memorial Building. The Morris Memorial Building is named for the Rev. Elijah Camp Morris (1855-1922), who served as the first President of the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. from 1895 to 1922. At the time, the National Baptist Convention was considered one of the largest African American religious bodies. Designed by McKissack & McKissack, one of the nation's first African American architectural firms, in the mid-1920s, the Morris Memorial Building housed the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. Sunday School Publishing Board, McKissack & McKissack Architectural Firm, and other African American businesses. The Neoclassical building, listed in the National Register of Historic Places since January 1985, is the only building still standing associated with African-American businesses in the downtown area.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Nashville Alumnae Chapter (Pi Sigma chapter). Pi Sigma Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was chartered at the Morris Memorial Building in April 1930. Charter members, all graduates of Fisk University, were Mary Katherine Battle. Eloise Lowe Clark, Melissa Elliott,
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 249.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 36° 10.02′ N, 86° 46.857′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Avenue and U.S. 31/41/4, on the left when traveling south on 4th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 Charlotte Ave, Nashville TN 37201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Nashville Slave Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Freedman's Savings and Trust Company Bank / Duncan Hotel "Western Harmony" (about 400 feet away); Transfer Station Site (about 500 feet away); To the Hero’s of 1776-Not Dead! -But living in deeds such lives inspire (about 600 feet away); On This Site Stood the Nashville Inn (about 700 feet away); Alvin C. York (about 800 feet away); Houston's Law Office (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.