Gateway To The West
In 1806, during the Jefferson Administration, Congress authorized its first road project, the Cumberland Road, later called the National Road. Originally built over the mountain to the south of the Narrows, in 1834 the road was relocated to use this passage.
Later the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, first to reach the Alleghenies, extended its lines through the gap toward the west. Through the Narrows passed countless thousands of settlers westward bound for the Ohio Valley and the Midwest. Stagecoaches, Conestoga
wagons and herds of cattle and sheep using the Narrows gave way to countless trains and motor vehicles, moving to develop a growing nation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars
Location. 39° 39.058′ N, 78° 45.814′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Street and Canal Street, on the left when traveling west on Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); On This Site Stood Metro Clothes (within shouting distance of this marker); Crossroads of America Mural (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio Co. and Fort Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Algonquian Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tablet Marks the Site of Old Fort Cumberland (about 300 feet away); Site of Fort Cumberland (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.