Upper Arlington in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bill Moose [Crowfoot]
Engraved by Zenker Brothers
Location. 40° 2.775′ N, 83° 5.668′ W. Marker is in Upper Arlington, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Riverside Drive (U.S. 33), on the right when traveling north. Memorial is in Wyandot Hill Park, about 700 feet south of US 33 intersection with Lane Road (not to be confused with Lane Avenue), which is about halfway between Fishinger and Henderson Roads. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scioto Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Carrie Nelson Black (approx. 1.9 miles away); James J. Thomas Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); Field of Corn (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Field of Corn (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Field of Corn (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different Field of Corn (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Field of Corn (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Regarding Bill Moose [Crowfoot]. Bill Moose was the last of the Wyandot Indians in Ohio. He was born in 1837 eight miles north of Upper Sandusky and died just short of 100 years of age in 1937. He came from a family of long-lived relatives. His father died at the age of 100 in 1871 and his mother died at the age of 106 in 1872.
During his father's lifetime there was a camp of 400 Wyandot Indians in Upper Sandusky. Chief Pancake was the last chief of the tribe in this territory. The Wyandot Indians ultimately left their Ohio reservations, and moved in 1836 to Kansas, and then later to Oklahoma. However, 12 families including Bill's parents, refused to leave Ohio.
Bill Moose spent nine years working for the Sells Brothers Circus, going to many places in America, and also into Canada and Australia. He never married.
For many years he lived in a little hut on Morse Road (near the present Wyandotte Golf Course). He was known by his wardrobe and could be seen wearing his blanket and headdress, which became a familiar and friendly reminder of his heritage when seen by local citizens. He sold trinkets, post cards and posed for pictures for some income.
Land was donated by the City of Columbus for Bill Moose's burial site. When Bill Moose died in 1937 he was buried by the Scioto River in full ceremonial fashion. This included a sacred death necklace of eagle claws given by the Blackfoot tribe and a pair of burial moccasins, which his people believe, help speed the journey to the “Happy Hunting Ground".
His tombstone consists of 39 granite boulders standing altogether at just over 9 feet tall. The boulders used in the monument actually came from the riverbed. The boulders were then sanded and put together to form a teepee. On the top boulder there is an image of an Indian and a white man shaking hands.
One thousand people witnessed the dedication service to Bill Moose. He shall always be remembered as the last of the Wyandot Indians in Ohio.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Photo of Bill Moose. (Submitted on April 1, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Bill Moose Collage. (Submitted on April 1, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Bill Moose [Crowfoot].
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 3,124 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 28, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.