Near Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery
In 1865 ground for the first St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery was purchased on St. John's Street. Father William DeBever purchased the River Street cemetery land in 1888 and the bodies at the original location were moved to this site. The old cemetery property was sold to the State of Michigan in 1923 to accommodate the expansion of the Normal School.
The Sacred Heart Statue at the entrance to the cemetery was erected in 1923 to honor Father Frank Kennedy who served as pastor at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church for thirty years.
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic District Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 42° 15.559′ N, 83° 36.44′ W. Marker is near Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of North River Street and East Clark Road, on the left when traveling south on North River Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 N River St, Ypsilanti MI 48198, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Highland Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ypsilanti Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Manufacturing History (approx. 0.7 miles away); Michigan Central Freighthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Last Hudson Dealership (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Oliver House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Real McCoy (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 11 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.