Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Swedes Church

Old Swedes Churchyard Walking Tour

 
 
Old Swedes Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 30, 2009
1. Old Swedes Church Marker
Inscription.  
Upon arrival from Sweden in 1697, Pastor Eric Björk began his quest to build a stone church to replace the decaying log structure on the south bank of the Christina River that had served the Swedish Lutheran congregation. Helga Trefaldighet Kyrcka (Holy Trinity Church) was consecrated on Trinity Sunday, 1699. Over the years, it has become affectionately known as Old Swedes.

Swedish Lutheran missionaries served the Delaware Valley congregations from 1640 until the last one was recalled in 1791. The following year Old Swedes affiliated with the newly formed Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States. Trinity Parish, whose members worship at Old Swedes and Trinity Church, belongs to the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware.

We hope your walking tour of Old Swedes is enjoyable and educational.

[Caption:]
Old Swedes is the oldest church in the United States still used for worship as it was originally built. It is a rare example of Swedish colonial architecture.
 
Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America of the State of Delaware

Old Swedes Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 5, 2021
2. Old Swedes Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1697.
 
Location. 39° 44.318′ N, 75° 32.473′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Church Street (Route 13) and East 7th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 612 N Church St, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Congregation of Crane Hook Church Built Holy Trinity Church 1698-1699 (here, next to this marker); Hendrickson House (a few steps from this marker); Burr Family Vault (within shouting distance of this marker); Brinckle Family (within shouting distance of this marker); "M. B." Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Stidham Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron Letters on the Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots in the Old Swedes Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
National Historic Landmark plaque on the church image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 5, 2021
3. National Historic Landmark plaque on the church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   2. submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174436

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021