Yorktown in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery
In 1867, Anton (1815-1889) and Lucyia (1830-1912) Koszielsky deeded land to the Roman Catholic Church for a graveyard to serve the parishioners of the growing Catholic community of Yorktown. In 1916, Jesse H. (1866-1943) and Constantine (1866-1941) Kozelski donated additional acreage to enlarge the cemetery. In 1937, an extensive landscaping project was completed and the crucifixion monument, donated by Frank and Florentyna Jendrzey, became the focal point of the cemetery. Elizabeth Wollny donated the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1979. The cemetery chronicles the diverse heritage of the Yorktown area.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15119.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 28° 58.884′ N, 97° 28.902′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Old 237 (County Highway 455) and County Highway 450, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown TX 78164, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Cross Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away); DeWitt County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); De Witt County (approx. 0.8 miles away); John York and Charles Eckhardt (approx. 1.4 miles away); C. Eckhardt & Sons Building (approx. 1.4 miles away); Yorktown (approx. 1.4 miles away); 2nd. Lt. Adolph Strieber (approx. 2.4 miles away); Shiloh (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.