Yorktown in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
C. Eckhardt & Sons Building
Erected 1876. Had iron shutters, elevator, walls 25 inches thick. Housed general mercantile store begun by pioneer Caesar Eckhardt family in 1848, soon after founding of Yorktown. Wagons brought in goods from seaport of Indianola. Gold and silver hidden under potatoes were sent to San Antonio to purchase other supplies. During the Civil War, wife ran the business while the husband and two sons served the south.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Erected 1965 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 593.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 28° 58.846′ N, 97° 30.255′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 72) and South Eckhardt Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. The marker is located on the north wall of the Yorktown Historical Building. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yorktown (within shouting distance of this marker); John York and Charles Eckhardt (within shouting distance of this marker); De Witt County (approx. 0.6 miles away); DeWitt County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holy Cross Catholic Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); 2nd. Lt. Adolph Strieber (approx. 1.2 miles away); Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Shiloh (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.