St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Christ Episcopal Church
This congregation was established as a mission of the Church of England in February, 1736. The Rev. Charles Wesley, ordained priest of that Church, conducted the first services in the chapel within the walls of Fort Frederica. The Rev. John Wesley, Rector of Christ Episcopal Church, Savannah, also served this mission. under the name St. James, this was one of the eight original parishes established in 1758. After the Revolution, this and other churches which had been served continuously by clergymen of the Church of England formed the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. Christ Church was incorporated by the State legislature in 1808 and given a glebe of 108 acres; and in 1823 was one of the three parishes organizing the diocese of Georgia. The first Church built on this property in 1820 was almost destroyed during the War Between the States. The present building was erected on the same site in 1884.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-33A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1736.
Location. 31° 13.203′ N, 81° 23.219′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Frederica Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6329 Frederica Rd, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wesley Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Simons Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Georgia Navy (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Gully Hole Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederica - Military Road (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Christ Episcopal Church. By 1807, the island's population was sufficient to require a permanent place of worship. Christ Church was established, the second-oldest Episcopal Church in Georgia, and the State legislature
Also see . . .
1. Glynn County History. Christ Church (Submitted on October 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Christ Episcopal Church. Founded in 1808, the Christ Church Parish is the second oldest in Georgia and serves as a memorial to the early labors of John and Charles Wesley. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,055 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on March 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on January 30, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.