Clarksburg in Harrison County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Waldomore / Nathan Goff
Waldomore. Built by Waldo P. Goff, father of Nathan Goff, in 1842, Waldomore is a two-story Neo-Classical Revival brick mansion used as the family home until the death of May Goff Lowndes in 1930. Left by her to the City of Clarksburg for use as a library, since 1975 it has been a historical and genealogical center and archives repository. Listed on the National Register in 1978.
Nathan Goff. Born at Waldomore in 1843, Goff enlisted in the Union army and was promoted to major by war's end. In 1864, he was captured. held, and exchanged. Postwar, he practiced law and served as state delegate. Secretary of the Navy, and federal judge. Elected thrice to U.S. House of Representatives and once to the Senate, he twice lost gubernatorial bids. Goff died April 23, 1920.
Erected 2016 by West Virginia Archives & History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 23, 1920.
Location. 39° 16.851′ N, 80° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 W Pike St, Clarksburg WV 26301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stonewall Jackson Birthplace (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson Birthplace (about 500 feet away); The Immigrants (about 600 feet away); Combat Wounded (about 700 feet away); Clarksburg (about 700 feet away); Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Monument (about 700 feet away); U.S.S. West Virginia Bow Flag Staff (about 700 feet away); Union Meetings (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksburg.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Waldomore. Excerpt:
Waldomore, also known as The Waldomore, is a two-story Neo-Classical brick mansion located in uptown Clarksburg, West Virginia, United States. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 4, 1978.(Submitted on June 2, 2021.)
The Waldomore was constructed in late 1839 for Waldo P. Goff on part of a 4-acre (16,000 m2) tract that extended from Pike Street to Elk Creek. The structure's name was coined by combining the names of the original owners Waldo Goff and his wife Harriet L. Moore. The Waldomore was added to The National Register of Historical
2. Wikipedia entry for Nathan Goff Jr. Excerpt:
Born on February 9, 1843, in Clarksburg, Harrison County, Virginia (now West Virginia), to Waldo Goff, who had five times won election to represent Harrison County in the Virginia House of Delegates. Goff attended the Northwestern Academy in Clarksburg and Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He received a Bachelor of Laws in 1866 from New York University School of Law.(Submitted on June 2, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 2, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.