Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Waterfront at Delaware City

 
 
Waterfront at Delaware City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
1. Waterfront at Delaware City Marker
Inscription.  
This quiet waterfront promenade was once part of a busy, noisy commercial district that included coal wharves, a steamboat dock, sheds and stores, and broad staging areas for local produce destined for markets in Philadelphia and Baltimore. Piers at both ends of the waterfront extended into the river some 250 feet to offer additional mooring places.

Although the arrival of the railroad in 1873 challenged water transportation, commercial fishing and shipment of wood and coal kept the port busy into the 20th century. The river is still a vital shipping lane; less than two miles north of the city, modern docks serve vessels destined for the oil refinery that stands on land where peach orchards once flourished.

[Captions:]
Around 1840, Philip (later "Major") Reybold began growing peaches just north of Delaware City. By 1845, he had 110,000 peach trees and was shipping tens of thousands of baskets of peaches to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New York on his own steamboats, which docked at Major's Wharf. In the late 1800s, a peach blight struck and by 1880 Reybold's peaches were largely a thing of the past. At

Waterfront at Delaware City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
2. Waterfront at Delaware City Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
the height of the peach boo the illustration below appeared in Harper's Weekly, September 11, 1878.

In August, 1885, Captain Eugene Reybold, brought the Major Reybold to port through a tornado that killed two people on shore and injured several others. The ship's pilot, Emory Townsend, drowned. The ship was repaired and continued to carry passengers between Philadelphia and points south until about 1908.
 
Erected by City of Delaware City, Delaware; Delaware Land & Water Conservation Trust Fund.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1885.
 
Location. 39° 34.778′ N, 75° 35.23′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Street and Harbor Street, on the right when traveling north on Clinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Clinton St, Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coastal Defense Forts (within shouting distance of this marker); Small But Mighty (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Delaware City Veteran's Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Sailing on the C&D Canal (within shouting distance

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
of this marker); The Diving Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lock at Delaware City (about 300 feet away); Historic Delaware City (about 400 feet away); Building the C&D Canal (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 20 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174518

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021