Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Presbyterian Church of Smyrna

 
 
Presbyterian Church of Smyrna Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
1. Presbyterian Church of Smyrna Marker
Inscription.  
Proclaiming the Excellencies of Jesus Christ

"Behold I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious cornerstone, and whoever believes in him will not be disappointed." 1 Peter 2:5

The First Presbyterian Church of Smyrna chartered 1733 AD as Duck Creek Presbyterian Church in New Castle Presbytery by act of the colonial legislature in the name of His Majesty George II, King of Great Britain and Ireland. Relocated to this site 1883 AD. Consecrated 1884 AD. Renovated and re-consecrated to the Glory of God 2009 AD.

David M. and Laurie S. Robinson and family, who graciously contributed the serpentine stone for the exterior from the original 1883 source, Brinton's Quarry at the Crebilly Farm, West Chester, Pennsylvania.
 
Erected by Presbyterian Church of Smyrna.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1733.
 
Location. 39° 17.947′ N, 75° 36.53′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County

Presbyterian Church of Smyrna Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
2. Presbyterian Church of Smyrna Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of West Commerce Street and Benson Street, on the right when traveling west on West Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 W Commerce St, Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thornley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Citizens' Hose Company No. 1. Inc. (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Victor D. Ennis (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Allen McLane (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); School District No. 5 (about 700 feet away); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
 
Presbyterian Church of Smyrna image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
3. Presbyterian Church of Smyrna
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174548

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021