Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

"First in the World"

Post #14 American Legion Ambulance Service

 
 
"First in the World" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
1. "First in the World" Marker
Inscription.  In 1924, the David C. Harrison American Legion Post #14 in Smyrna formed the first American Legion Ambulance Service in the world. The 18 founding members were veterans of World War I who volunteered to transport sick and injured community members to area hospitals. Prior to this time patients traveled by train, which delayed medical treatment. Services originally extended from Summit Bridge to Milford. In continuous operation since its founding, the Ambulance Service relocation from S. Main Street to Glenwood Avenue in 1961. A new facility that carries on the work of the original service opened in 2013 at the intersection of Routes 6 and 300.
 
Erected 2019 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-67.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
 
Location. 39° 17.662′ N, 75° 37.345′ W. Marker is in
"First in the World" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
2. "First in the World" Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Smyrna Clayton Boulevard (Delaware Route 6) just west of Wheatleys Pond Road (Delaware Route 300), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 W Glenwood Ave, Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Byrd's African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Dedicated To All Who Served (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Clayton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clayton Veterans Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named "First in the World" (approx. ¾ mile away); Thornley House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Presbyterian Church of Smyrna (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
 
Nearby memorial display image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 31, 2021
3. Nearby memorial display
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174556

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2021