Montgomery County Court House
Location: Courthouse Square
Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour
The red brick and sandstone courthouse on this site is believed to be the fourth location of courts since Rockville was selected as the county seat in 1776. Court was originally held at Hungerford Tavern. A frame courthouse existed in the late 18th century but was sufficiently outgrown by 1810 to necessitate a new building for the clerk and his records.
In 1835, the county petitioned the Maryland General Assembly for authorization to construct a new brick courthouse, which was completed in 1840. By that time, Rockville was an established residential, governmental and market hub with a population of nearly 400. The original single-story wings of the structure were raised in 1872 to provide more space. One year later, the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opened. Population and local government business increased significantly, and the 1840 courthouse, having been outgrown, was demolished in 1890.
The General Assembly authorized a bond issued for a larger structure. Designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Frank E. Davis and constructed by Thomas Johns, the "Red Brick Courthouse" opened for business in 1891.
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.
Location. 39° 5.039′ N, 77° 9.089′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Courthouse Square just west of Maryland Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 Courthouse Sq, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rockville (a few steps from this marker); Red Brick Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Gibbs v. Broome, et al. / 1931 Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Bicentennial of Maryland's Ratification of the Constitution (a few steps from this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); 1891 Red Brick Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Court House Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock and His Men (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.