Rockville's First Colored School / Rockville's Second Colored School
Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Rockville's First Colored School
Location: 246 North Washington Street
In March, 1867 African-American men pledged to support a school by taking responsibility for money "as may be necessary to pay the board and washing of the teacher and to provide fuel and lights for the School-house." A school likely opened soon afterwards.
Education was one way newly emancipated slaves could assert their independence and plan for the future. In 1872, Montgomery County began to provide public education to African-American students. The elementary school was built in 1876 and accepted students in grades one through seven. When the two-room schoolhouse burned in 1919 (refer to map below), students moved into the basement of Jerusalem Methodist Episcopal Church. The school was rebuilt in 1921 on the east side of North Washington Street.
Rockville's Second Colored School
Location East side of North Washington Street
The second Rockville Colored School opened in 1921 serving grades one through seven. To continue their education, students had to commute by streetcar into Washington, D.C., or board
In the mid-1920s, Noah E. Clark and other African-American parents petitioned for the county's first black high school. In 1927, the school board voted to construct a high school in Rockville. The African-American community supplied $6,700 toward construction, matching a grant from the philanthropic Rosenwald Foundation. Julius Rosenwald, president and CEO of Sears, provided matching funds to construct nearly 5,000 African-American schools throughout the segregated South between 1917 and 1948.
Rockville Colored High School was located adjacent to the elementary school on North Washington Street. It was the only high school in the county for African-American students. Many students had to ride for hours by bus to get to and from class. In 1934, the school board purchased land in Lincoln Park for the new Lincoln High Scool.
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 12, 14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour, and the Rosenwald Schools 🎓 series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1867.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Of By For (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton A.M.E. Zion Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Mr. T's (within shouting distance of this marker); Snowden Funeral Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Town Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Galilean Temple (about 400 feet away); Hebron House and Print Shop (about 400 feet away); Jerusalem - Mt. Pleasant Church and Parsonage (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.