Rockville Methodist Episcopal Church - Jerusalem Mount Pleasant United United Methodist Church
Location: 21 Wood Lane
Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour
Rockville Methodists first met in private homes with occasional visits from a "circuit rider" minister. In 1835, the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church purchased lot 82 of the original Town of Rockville for $40, where "they may erect and build thereon a house or place of worship." The Rockville Circuit was established in 1845 to serve 715 and 527 Negro Methodists. Rockville Methodist Episcopal Church incorporated in 1852 and erected a brick house of worship about 1858 on Wood Lane.
A doctrinal dispute over slavery caused the Methodist Episcopal Church to separate into two factions. The southern faction in Rockville left the congregation and built a new church on West Montgomery Avenue in 1868. By that time, black members of the congregation had successfully sued for ownership of the original property. In 1892, the church, now named Jerusalem Methodist Episcopal Church was dismantled and enlarged.
The church housed black students in 1912 when the Rockville Colored Elementary School burned and was the site of graduation ceremonies through the 1950s. The church belfry was removed, the stairs expanded and the building
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 39° 5.152′ N, 77° 9.245′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Wood Lane just east of North Adams Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Wood Ln, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jerusalem - Mt. Pleasant Church and Parsonage (within shouting distance of this marker); Hebron House and Print Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Galilean Temple (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williams-Wilson House (about 300 feet away); Higgins House (about 300 feet away); Early Rockville Residential Area (about 300 feet away); Mr. T's (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.