Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Prettyman House

Location: 104 West Jefferson Street

 

— Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour —

 
Prettyman House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 4, 2021
1. Prettyman House Marker
Inscription.  
This house was built on 13.5-acre lot on the outskirts of Rockville in 1842. A stone marking the southwest corner of the original 1803 Rockville Plan is between this house and the adjacent Rockville Academy grounds. Matilda Holland, widow of Montgomery County Register of Wills Solomon Holland, purchased the land in 1839. Her daughter Anne and her husband Capt. Zachariah Johnston, of the United States Navy, built the Greek Revival-style house, which was home to their five daughters and Matilda Holland. Its original design was a 1 ˝-story side-gabled dwelling with a pedimented front portico with classical columns. It had an attached west wing and a rear wing. It was enlarged to full stories in 1876 and remodeled to a more Victorian style. A private lane led to the house and back to the stable and pasture along Falls Road.

The property was owned or occupied by five generations of the Johnston-Prettyman family over almost 150 year. The Johnstons' daughter, Lydia, married Elijah Barrett Prettyman in 1855. He later became Clerk of the Circuit Court for Montgomery County. Many members of this family were active in county and town politics,

The Prettyman House image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 4, 2021
2. The Prettyman House
Click or scan to see
this page online
religious and educational affairs, and the military. Various family members and others purchased land along the stable land, which became South Van Buren Street. The Prettyman family owned the house until 1968.
 
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location. 39° 4.981′ N, 77° 9.363′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28) just east of South Van Buren Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 W Jefferson St, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Prettyman House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (a few steps from this marker); Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Stonestreet's Office
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 600 feet away); Stonestreet Medical Museum (about 700 feet away); Beall-Dawson House and Park (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174805

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2021