Location: 103 South Adams Street
— Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour —
In 1805, the Maryland General Assembly appointed a commission to raise money for a school lot and a fire engine for Rockville. The Rockville Academy was chartered and authorized to hire teachers in 1809. In 1812 and 1813, a number of lots were purchased on Jefferson Street, and construction of the original rectangular brick Federal-style building was completed in 1813. Tuition was $10 a year, and students found room and board nearby.
The academy faced Jefferson Street and was five bays long with interior chimneys at either end. The building contained only classrooms. Thirty to 60 young men were enrolled annually, some of whom attended seasonally when farm work was light. They received a classical secondary school education. The academy was one of four such private secondary schools in the country.
The original building continued in use until 1890 when it was replaced by the present Queen Anne-style school designed by Rockville builder Edwin West. Female students were first admitted in 1912. The academy closed in 1916 and from 1917 to 1935, this structure housed the Rockville public elementary school for grades 1-3. From 1936
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. 39° 4.983′ N, 77° 9.334′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28) just west of South Adams Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 W Jefferson St, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Stonestreet's Office (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beall-Dawson House and Park (about 600 feet away); Stonestreet Medical Museum (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.