Saint Mary's Church
Location: 520 Veirs Mill Road
— Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour —
St. Mary's Chapel, built in 1817, is the oldest church still in use in Rockville. This location was chosen for its relatively large concentration of Roman Catholics, its central location along Rockville Pike and its prominence as the county seat. Out of St. Mary's sprang several up-county mission churches.
Father James Redmond established an eight-member congregation here in 1816. A member of the congregation sold 4 acres of land to the parish for $300. Parishioners helped construct the Georgian-style building, which was the first brick Catholic church in Montgomery County. The brick arches were hand-rubbed to create a contrasting color and texture to the walls. The main building was 53-feet long by 36-feet wide. A small 15-foot-square extension in the rear included a sacristy and the pastor's living quarters. Redmond offered the first mass in St. Mary's Chapel on Dec. 14, 1817.
Although remodeled and enlarged several times, most of the original chapel remains today and seats about 150. In 1965, the modern church was built and a demolition permit issued for the old church. It was saved at the last moment by parishioners and
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 1.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is December 14, 1817.
Location. 39° 4.905′ N, 77° 8.701′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road (Maryland Route 28/586) and Rockville Pike (Maryland Route 355), on the right when traveling west on Veirs Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 Veirs Mill Rd, Rockville MD 20852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Mary's Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Rockville Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rockville's Pump House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Typhoid in Rockville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Preserving a Community Resource (approx. 0.3 miles away); Montgomery County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Boundary Stone of Rockville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Boundary Stone (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.