Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hendrickson House

Old Swedes Churchyard Walking Tour

 
 
Hendrickson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 5, 2021
1. Hendrickson House Marker
Inscription.  
Originally it was one room with fireplace down stairs and a large bedroom above. The Hendricksons raised eight children in this house. It was enlarged later, and served as home to five generations of Hendricksons.

After many years of neglect, the house was scheduled for demolition. It was carefully taken apart and reconstructed on the present site in 1958. The mantle, fireplace, and fireplace woodwork are original. The floor boards are from a Massachusetts farm house of the same era. The ceiling beams were hand made as part of the restoration. The period furnishings are not original to the house, but have been donated over the years.

Hendrickson House serves as the office for Old Swedes Foundation, a museum, gift shop and genealogical research center.

[Caption:]
The Hendrickson House was built near Chester PA in 1690 by Andrew Hendrickson, a colonial Swedish farmer.

 
Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America of the State of Delaware. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic

Hendrickson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 5, 2021
2. Hendrickson House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
lists: ArchitectureColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1958.
 
Location. 39° 44.318′ N, 75° 32.463′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Church Street (U.S. 13) and East 7th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 606 N Church St, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Congregation of Crane Hook Church Built Holy Trinity Church 1698-1699 (a few steps from this marker); Old Swedes Church (a few steps from this marker); Burr Family Vault (a few steps from this marker); Brinckle Family (a few steps from this marker); "M. B." Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Stidham Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron Letters on the Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. Gen. James H. Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174858

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2021