Old Swedes Churchyard Walking Tour
The Brinckles are an old Delaware family. The Rev. Samuel G. Brinckle was the first Rector of Christ Church, Christiana Hundred, "preaching almost until the time of his death in 1863," Gertrude Brinckle was the longtime librarian at the Historical Society of Delaware.
In 1828 several members of Old Swedes Church met in the home of Dr. John Brinckle to organize the Episcopal Congregation of the Borough of Wilmington. This body ultimately evolved into St. Andrew's Church, today The Episcopal Church of Saints Andrew and Matthew.
Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America of the State of Delaware. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 39° 44.31′ N, 75° 32.452′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burr Family Vault (here, next to this marker); "M. B." Stone (here, next to this marker); Stidham Family (a few steps from this marker); Iron Letters on the Church (a few steps from this marker); Hendrickson House (a few steps from this marker); Charles Springer (a few steps from this marker); Judge Ignatius C. Grubb (within shouting distance of this marker); The Congregation of Crane Hook Church Built Holy Trinity Church 1698-1699 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.