Old Swedes Churchyard Walking Tour
Preparations to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the consecration of Old Swedes in 1998 produced some unexpected results.
Painters removed dozens of coats of paint from the south doors in preparation for painting. They found carved graffiti dating back almost 300 years. It was decided to maintain the graffiti rather than paint over it as had been done in the past.
Most of the graffiti dates from the twelve year period the church was closed, 1830-1842. The earliest date found is 1711. In addition to the doors, some initials and dates have been carved into the portico stones.
Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America of the State of Delaware. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Communications. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1998.
Location. 39° 44.296′ N, 75° 32.433′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christiern and Maria Brynberg (here, next to this marker); Charles Springer (a few steps from this marker); Bayard Plot (a few steps from this marker); Judge Ignatius C. Grubb (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of John Hendrickson, Sr. (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Charles Springer (a few steps from this marker); Major Peter Jaquett (a few steps from this marker); Garesche, Bauduy, Deschappelle Families (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.