Potsdam in St. Lawrence County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Potsdam Raquette River Walk
Trinity Episcopal Church / Racket, Racquette, or Raquette?
Trinity Episcopal Church
Built of Potsdam Sandstone in 1836 by the Clarkson family (cornerstone laid in 1835), this is the only local church still standing that was constructed using the slab-and-binder method. The rectory and all additions were built in the Gothic Revival architectural style. The sandstone office building on Maple Street was built in 1901 in the ashlar style of masonry. The parish house was added in 1955. Trinity Episcopal Church features windows designed by Lewis Comfort Tiffany of Tiffany Glass. Some are signed museum pieces.
Sandstone blocks:(above) Ashlar masonry: rough surfaces, various sizes, no long seams; (below)Slab-and-binder masonry: alternating courses of rough and smooth, depending on whether the sandstone grain is vertical or horizontal.
Racket, Racquette, or Raquette?
Throughout the 19th century, the river was identified on most maps as the "Racket." The name might be derived from the French word for snowshoe (raquette) or translated from the Mohawk name for this river (noisy) that described the sound produced by its many rapids.
In 1902 and again in 1942, the U.S. Board
Some local residents like to out a "c" in the name. The Sisson family named their mill the Racquette River Paper Company. SUNY Potsdam's student newspaper is named "The Racquette."
(above)Stationery letterhead of Racquette River Paper Company shows unusual local spelling of river. Courtesy of the Potsdam Museum.
Erected 2010 by Eagle Scout Project by Alexander G. Well. Sign sponsored by JE Sheehan Contracting Corp.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 44° 40.052′ N, 74° 59.183′ W. Marker was in Potsdam, New York, in St. Lawrence County. Marker could be reached from Main Street, 0.1 miles east of Market Street. Marker is in Ives Park along the east bank of the river behind the Clarkson Inn. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Potsdam NY 13676, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. They Live with Us in Grateful Memory of their Sacrifice (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Lawrence Academy (about 700 feet away); James McCormickThe Clarkson-Knowles Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Potsdam Raquette River Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potsdam Raquette River Walk - Hydro Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potsdam Fire Department Members Who Served in World War II (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Potsdam (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Potsdam.
More about this marker. There is public parking off Main Street just east of the Clarkson Inn. The Inn is at the intersection of Main, Market, and Maple Streets.
Also see . . .
1. Trinity Episcopal Church, Potsdam, NY. (Submitted on November 13, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Clarkson Office Building - Wikipedia. As mentioned on the marker. It on Fall Island, 17 Maple Street. (Submitted on November 13, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on June 8, 2021, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.