Hollywood in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
YWCA Hollywood Studio Club
Mediterranean Revival style. Architect - Julia Morgan. Built 1926. Declared 1977, Historic-Cultural Monument No. 175, City of Los Angeles, Cultural Heritage Commission, Cultural Affairs Department.
Erected 1977 by City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 175.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Entertainment • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. In addition, it is included in the City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 34° 5.579′ N, 118° 19.409′ W. Marker is in Hollywood, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Lodi Place and Lexington Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Lodi Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1215 Lodi Pl, Los Angeles CA 90038, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buster Keaton Studios (approx. 0.3 miles away); CBS Columbia Square Studios (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fire Station 27 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hattie McDanielWarner Brothers Studio (approx. half a mile away); Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Emmy Awards (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hollywood and Vine (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hollywood.
Regarding YWCA Hollywood Studio Club. This club was a chaperoned dormitory, sometimes referred to as a sorority, for young women involved in the motion picture business, from 1916 to 1975. It housed some 10,000 women during its 59-year existence, including Marilyn Monroe, Ayn Rand, Donna Reed, Kim Novak, Maureen O'Sullivan, Rita Moreno, Barbara Eden, ZaSu Pitts, Sally Strothers, and Sharon Tate. Noted California architect Julia Morgan also designed Hearst Castle. The Studio Club closed in 1975, and the building is still owned by the YWCA. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 11, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.