Dallas Zoo
The Dallas Zoo traces its history to 1888, when the city purchased two deer and two mountain lions and placed them in pens in the City Park. In the 1890s, with the support of Dallas citizens, the City Council provided funds for the zoo, and additional animals were bought for the collection.
The zoo was located in the City Park (now Old City Park) until 1910, when the animals were moved to the newly acquired Fair Park. Under the leadership of Zoo Commissioner William H. Atwell, the zoo's collection was enlarged and improved, and a new site was purchased in Marsalis Park in Oak Cliff.
In the 1920s a special Zoo Commission was created by the city, and the collection was further developed with the acquisition of numerous specimens from famed game hunter and trapper Frank Buck. During the depression years of the 1930s the zoo facilities were upgraded with the help of the Federal Works Progress Administration Program.
The Dallas Zoo Society was organized in 1955. By the 1960s the zoo had become a popular local attraction, and more improvements were made. Still popular with both Dallas citizens and tourists, the zoo continues to entertain and educate the public.
Erected 1988
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 32° 44.405′ N, 96° 48.988′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. It is in Cedar Crest. It can be reached from East Clarendon Drive 0.2 miles west of South Marsalis Drive, on the right. The marker is in The Grove picnic area between the Wings of Wonder and the Prime Meridian Cafι. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 621 E Clarendon Dr, Dallas TX 75203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Colonel William G. Cooke (approx. Ό mile away); Oak Cliff United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Officer J.D. Tippit (approx. half a mile away); Cliff Temple Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); W.H. Adamson High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texas Theatre (approx. 0.6 miles away); Greater El Bethel Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's Town (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 5. submitted on June 15, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.




