Geneva in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In this vicinity was historic Spanish rancho called
Pueblo of Gil Ybarbo (1729-1809), where his ill mother and other refugees remained when Spain evacuated colonists from Western Louisiana and East Texas in 1773. Granted 1794 to Juan Ignacio Pifermo, and inherited in early 1800s by John Maximillian (1778?-1866), this is now known as oldest continuously occupied site in East Texas.
Incised on marble monument
The Y'Barbo Pifermo-Maxmilliam Hacienda was the first wayside inn west of the Gaines Ferry for almost a century.
Judge and Mrs. Charlie Forse
A.V. & Edna White - Historian
Mr. & Mrs. John Starr, Jr.
Carl C. Maxey
Kathryn Maxey Pool
H. & Birdie Pratt
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11033.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1773.
Location. 31° 28.556′ N, 93° 55.038′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milam TX 75959, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino Real de los Tejas 1680-1845 (approx. 1.9 miles away); A Snapshot In Time?/¿Una instantánea en el tiempo? (approx. 1.9 miles away); County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); McMahan's Chapel (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named McMahan's Chapel (approx. 3.4 miles away); Las Boregas Camp Site (approx. 4.8 miles away); C.A. Nethery & Sons General Merchandise (approx. 5 miles away); Milam (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.