Near Lometa in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Site Three Miles North)
Famous pioneer sawmill, flour mill, and cotton gin. Built 1874 by Henry A. Chadwick and son Milam. A sturdy oak dam across river supplied power. A millrace chiseled in sandstone channeled water to millstones. Mill and gin house were also sandstone. A fish trap in millrace offered food and sport to customers, who often had to wait several days for a turn at the mill.
This scenic spot grew to be a popular resort around 1900, with hotel and dance platform. Attracted hundreds of campers.
Change in course of river, 1915, forced mill to be abandoned.
This millstone is typical of those used during the Chadwick Mill period, 1874-1915.
Original Chadwick Mill property, consisting of 25 acres of land and improvements is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Hicks, Lometa, Texas.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 797.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lometa TX 76853, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harris Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Indian Signaling Grounds (approx. 4.6 miles away); Site of Barnett-Hamrick Settlement (approx. 6.3 miles away); Senterfitt Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); McAnelly Settlement (approx. 7.2 miles away); Site of the Town of Senterfitt (approx. 7.4 miles away); Phantom Hill Road (approx. 7.9 miles away); San Saba Lodge No. 612, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lometa.
Also see . . . Chadwick, TX.
In response to a growing need for a mill in the western part of the county, Henry A. Chadwick and his son, J. Milam, built a log dam on the Colorado River in 1879. They also built a sawmill, flour mill, and cotton gin at the site and later constructed a stone dam in front of the wooden one. The Chadwick Mills were soon in high demand, and wagons came from as far as San Angelo to use them. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on June 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.