Micanopy in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built 1853 by Dr. James A. Cooper as first apothecary shop. Later became the stagecoach stop and first post office. Old stage route entered Micanopy from west on present Seminary Street. First telephone office was also here.
Placed by Gainesville Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution April 27, 1980
Erected 1980 by Gainesville Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 29° 30.25′ N, 82° 16.763′ W. Marker is in Micanopy, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on NE Cholokka Boulevard north of SE Tuscawilla Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 NE Cholokka Blvd, Micanopy FL 32667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bartram (within shouting distance of this marker); Steamboat Chacala Anchor Micanopy Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Moses Elias Levy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Micanopy (about 700 feet away); Thrasher Warehouse (approx. ¼ mile away); The History of Pepsi Cola (approx. ¼ mile away); Home Made Tractor (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Micanopy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.