Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Centenary College and St. Dominic's Villa
Nearby Hill Site of
Centenary College Preparatory School, Lampasas' first coeducational college, was founded 1883 by the local Methodist Episcopal Church, on the Centennial of the Organization of Methodist in the United States. First president was the Rev. Marshall McIlhaney, at a salary of $125 per month, two 3-story buildings comprised the plant. First-year enrollment was 174 and tuition was $25 per 5-month semester; Christmas break lasted 1 1/2 days. In 1894 the property was sold and classes moved to the vacant Park hotel; when the hotel burned a year later, the college closed.
St. Dominic's Villa, a Catholic Boarding Academy for girls of all faiths, opened 1900 in the former Centenary College buildings. Under the able, spirited direction of the Dominican Sisters, it made progress for two decades. Its former students recalled the villa days as ones of "girlhood happiness". Sister Mary Catherine, director, and her dedicated staff developed an atmosphere of home-like contentment and high scholastic standards. The college had two 5-month semesters; to gain school days, Easter vacation was not observed. Peak enrollment of 70 was reached in the
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 779.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 31° 5.125′ N, 98° 11.247′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 281 and U.S. 183, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 281. The marker is located in front of a trucking business along the Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1550 US-281, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); James S. Gillett (approx. one mile away); Walter P. Acker (approx. one mile away); James Jackson Beeman (approx. 1.1 miles away); Garrison Greenwood (approx. 1.1 miles away); Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); American Legion Auxiliary Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); V.F.W. Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.