Near Rutledge in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hard Labor Creek State Park
Hard Labor Creek State Park
This park was built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program sponsored by President Roosevelt. It was administered as a division of the U.S. Army to reclaim unusable farm land, create recreational areas, and teach young men a skill or trade. Enlistees of the CCC were paid about $30 for a six-month enlistment, $25 of which was automatically sent to the enlistee's family.
There were two CCC camps housed at the Park. The first camp, District "B" Company 450 Ga. SP-8, Rutledge, GA. operated from 1934-1939. The second one, 3442nd Company CCC Camp Ga. SP-11, Rutledge, GA., operated from 1935-1937.
The National Park Service designed the park's layout. This site had been a vacant, overworked agricultural land at the time the government purchased it for a recreation demonstration project. The plan included the construction of two lakes, camping areas, observation tower, boat house, trails and other amenities. A February 1935 nursery plan included
These CCC camps, together with the U.S. Forestry service, are responsible for many of the park's original structures and landscapes. They built roads, bridges, retaining walls, Camp Rutledge, Lake Rutledge, the superintendent's home, and several structures located at Camp Daniel Morgan. Much of the work stopped at the start of World War II.
Hard Labor Creek Park became a National Park in 1939. It served as a National Park until 1946 when it was turned over to the state of Georgia, which continues to operate and maintain it today.
Erected 2009 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Horticulture & Forestry • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps series list.
Location. 33° 39.82′ N, 83° 36.326′ W. Marker is near Rutledge, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Hard Labor Creek State Park Road ¼ mile east of Knox Chapel Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at the Blacksmith Shop in the park, past (east of) the Park Office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rutledge GA 30663, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairplay (approx. 2.1 miles away); Rutledge Station (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rutledge (approx. 2.6 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 2.9 miles away); Matthew Talbot (approx. 4.9 miles away); Dorsey (approx. 5½ miles away); Mallory (approx. 6.2 miles away); Flat Rock (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rutledge.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,201 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.