Salisbury Fire Dept.
200 Years of Service
1817 - 2017
1817: Townsmen donate $415. "We do promise to pay to the Commissioners of the Town of Salisbury to procure an engine and other fire apparatus for the safety of the town." Witnessed 12/8/1817.
1866: A new fire engine was purchased replacing the engine destroyed by Gen. Stoneman. A Negro fire company was organized, of about 30 members who were exempt from paying poll taxes in return for their services.
1887: First municipal water works established. They installed 5 miles of water mains and 52 fire hydrants. Fire department began to use several horse-drawn hose reels. The City owned 1 horse. Other horses were rented.
1900: Construction began in 1896 of a new Fire Station, Town Hall and Calaboose; the building was occupied around 1900. This building served the fire department for 65 years. It is located at 113 S. Lee St.
1906: Salisbury's American LaFrance Metropolitan Steam Pumper (#3216), 600 GPM. It cost $5,500. This pumper is credited with saving Salisbury from a conflagration in the Empire Hotel block of S. MAin St. in 1909.
1912: Salisbury Fire Department
1932: For many years, members of the Salisbury Fire Department repaired collected toys. At Christmas of 1932 they were delivered to area children, with the help of the Salvation Army.
1944: A memorial to fallen firefighters was erected next to Station 2. It was expanded in 2002 to memorialize local fallen firefighters. It is located 14 blocks south from here on Main St.
1946: North Carolina's first fully equipped Rescue Truck, including cutting-edge breathing apparatus: an E&J Resuscitator Inhalator and Aspirator. The truck was donated by the Salisbury Jr. Chamber of Commerce.
1956: The 1941 Aerial Ladder used to put out the enormous fire in the Victory Theatre on E. Innes St. was fully restored in 2017. The restoration was in honor of Salisbury's Fire Department past, present and future.
1965: Engine 6 ready for response in the newly constructed Central Fire Station. This fire station is now Fire Station #1, located 4 blocks east at 514 E. Innes St.
1973: A modern fire training tower was erected behind the Central Fire Station for training. This 46' tower with 4 levels, a fire escape and smoke room provided practice with aerial ladders
1980: A large fire erupted in the Empire Hotel block of S. Main St. This time the Steamer was not part of the response, but the Salisbury Fire Department succeeded in saving the block from the conflagration.
1984: The Salisbury home of actor Sidney Blackmer was the scene of a spectacular fire. After a long battle, the flames were halted. Restoration was completed in 2015. The house is located on S. Fulton St.
2000: Salisbury, an ISO Class 2 fire department, was the first N.C. fire department to utilize the Quint concept, providing vehicles that included aerial ladders as well as standard equipment.
2017: Fire Chief Bob Parnell stands in front of Fire Station #1. The Salisbury Fire Department is proud of our 200 years of history and looks forward to continuing to serving our citizens for another 200 years!
Erected 2017 by Salisbury Fire Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Animals • Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 35° 40.022′ N, 80° 28.156′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is on East Innes Street, 0.1 miles east of South Main Street (U.S.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Willis Ellis (within shouting distance of this marker); William Valentine (within shouting distance of this marker); Boone Trail 1769 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hinton Rowan Helper (about 300 feet away); Salisbury Rotary Club (about 400 feet away); St. Lukes Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Washington's Southern Tour (about 500 feet away); Rowan County Courthouse (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.