Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
"Hopping John" Burleson received a headright grant for 1280 acres of land, including this site, in 1838. He first viewed the bubbling springs in 1847. "Hopping John" transferred the property to his cousin, John Burleson, in 1854. Later that year, John Burleson transferred the deed to his two daughters. One daughter, Elizabeth Scott, and her husband George erected a hotel near the springs, which became known as Scott's White Sulphur Springs. The Scotts laid out the town of Lampasas in the summer of 1855.
The springs became a popular recreation site, touted for the healing properties of the many minerals contained in the water. In 1863 the Scotts sold their property to William H. Storm and Thomas J. Moore; Storm sold the springs property to John L. Hanna and his sister Isabella Hanna in 1867. John Hanna's management heightened the popularity of the springs, and the hotel and springs became known as Hanna Springs. Health seekers flocked to Hanna's resort for years. When John Hanna died in Illinois in 1878, his property was sold by his heirs. The Hanna Pavilion, later called Hanna Opera House, was built soon after John Hanna's
William Campbell bought the property in 1904. Mrs. Campbell had the pavilion torn down and erected a smaller bath house in 1907. The property was known as Crystal Springs in the 1920s, after which its popularity waned.
By the 1940s the public was no longer using the springs and the park became overgrown with brush. The property was donated to the city for public use in 1994.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12016.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1280.
Location. 31° 4.138′ N, 98° 10.676′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker can be reached from East North Avenue, 0.1 miles east of South Live Oak Street. The marker is located at the east side of the parking lot for the Hanna Springs Pool. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 East North Avenue, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Fe Depot, (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mule-Drawn Streetcar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Keystone Hotel, (approx. 0.2 miles away); Little Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Hanna SpringsNear Site of Organization of Texas Bankers Association (approx. ¼ mile away); Reynolds Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Lampasas County, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.