St. Paul's Episcopal Church
This building, begun A.D. 1736 and first used in A.D. 1760, is the third church of St. Paul's Parish, Chowan Precinct, Edenton.
The first, A.D. 1701-02, stoode a mile hence on the sound side. It was the first church building in North Carolina.
The second was built in A.D. 1708.
Erected 1910 by St. Paul's Episcopal Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1736.
Location. 36° 3.684′ N, 76° 36.519′ W. Marker is in Edonton, North Carolina, in Chowan County. Marker is on North Broad Street (State Highway 32) just north of West Church Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 W Gale St, Edenton NC 27932, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1736 St. Paul's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Paul's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Hewes
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2021, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 29 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?