The Daffodil Industry
History of the Daffodil in Gloucester County
In 1890 Eleanor Linthicum Smith, of Toddsbury, decided there might be an opportunity to turn the abundant local naturalized daffodils into a money-making proposition. She started buying up cut daffodils from local property owners and sending them by steamship to Baltimore packed in wooden baskets covered with cheesecloth. Her start-up business was the beginning of a successful, decades long local industry.
The success of these first shipments of local flowers encouraged others to enter the daffodil business. Around 1915 Charles Heath started planting imported Dutch daffodil bulbs at his home in Auburn, on the North River. Despite his success, most growers remained content to harvest and sell the local naturalized daffodils.
Then in 1926 an embargo was placed on Dutch bulb imports due to a parasitic infestation. The firm of M. Van Waveren and Sons, the leading importer of Dutch bulbs, came to Charles Heath looking for a new source of supply, to be produced at Auburn. Charles' son George Heath joined the venture as manager. Now local producers were growing and selling both cut flowers and bulbs. The area was named the "Daffodil
The embargo was lifted in 1937. George Heath went into business for himself, founding the Daffodil Mart in 1938. The Gloucester-Mathews Narcissus Association was formed by local growers. In the 1938 season M&G Trucking Company transported an estimated 120,000 daffodils a day from 30 farms.
During World War II the business slowed. After the War production expanded. 150 families strong, the industry continued to ship millions of flowers each year. George Heath's son, Brent, took over the Daffodil Mart which today is Brent and Becky's Bulbs. But over-production, rising costs, and global competition made possible by air freight all took their toll. By the early 1980's planted acreage had fallen to just 150 acres.
Today what remains is a small cut flower business and a more robust bulb business. Nevertheless, Gloucester had seen the end of an era.
It was Mrs. Eleanor Linthicum Smith, a native of Baltimore, who first saw the possibilities in Virginia's naturalized daffodils and started the industry around 1890.
ARound 1915 Charles Heath started planting imported Dutch daffodil bulbs at his home Auburn, on the North River.
The Mobjack, which made three scheduled trips to Baltimore each week from Tidewater Virginia.
Erected by Gloucester County,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 37° 24.921′ N, 76° 31.753′ W. Marker is in Gloucester, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker is on Main Street (Business U.S. 17) just west of John Lemon Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6525 Main St, Gloucester VA 23061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gloucester Continues to Celebrate the Daffodil (here, next to this marker); Daffodils Arrived Here With the Colonists (here, next to this marker); A Sacred Place (a few steps from this marker); Werowocomoco (a few steps from this marker); The Birdsall Building (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam John Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named In Memoriam John Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloucester.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.