Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gloucester in Gloucester County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Welcome to the Edge Hill Service Station

 
 
Welcome to the Edge Hill Service Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 26, 2021
1. Welcome to the Edge Hill Service Station Marker
Inscription.  
Since 1930, the Edge Hill Service Station has been a landmark in Gloucester, marking the entrance to Main Street. The owners of the station prided themselves on cleanliness and customer satisfaction, and the station was a popular stop for locals and travelers passing through the area.

Texaco initiated its Registered Rest Room program in 1938. Any Texaco displaying a Registered Rest Room sign promised to provide motorists with clean, well-stocked restroom facilities as well as good hospitality from the Texaco brand.

The Edge Hill Station originally had a men's room inside the building and a ladies' room accessed from outside so that women did not have to enter the station. Soon after the station opened, a small building was moved from Champ Chesapeake in Zanoni to the west side of Texaco to serve as a hot dog stand. It was then moved to the east side of the building, as seen in the background photo, to become a ladies' lounge, and was eventually removed from the property.

The Edge Hill Service Station is a 'Denver' style station. This style, with its peaked tile roof pierced by chimneys, was designed to fit

Welcome to the Edge Hill Service Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 26, 2021
2. Welcome to the Edge Hill Service Station Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in with residential areas across the country and soon became Texaco's first official national design. It was also the first Texaco station design to incorporate bays designated for lubrication and repairs, allowing those services to be moved indoors.

[Caption:]
Station manager C.E. King at the Edge Hill Service Station in 1931. The second garage bay was added by 1938.

 
Erected by The Fairfield Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
 
Location. 37° 24.748′ N, 76° 31.227′ W. Marker is in Gloucester, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker is on Main Street (Business U.S. 17) just west of John Clayton Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 3/14), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6783 Main St, Gloucester VA 23061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Trust Your Car to the Man Who Wears the Star" (here, next to this marker); Restoration of the Edge Hill Service Station (a few steps from this marker); Texaco Gas Pumps, c. 1930s (a few steps from this marker); Gloucester Downtown Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Traveling Gloucester

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(a few steps from this marker); People & Personalities of Edge Hill (a few steps from this marker); History of the Edge Hill Intersection (a few steps from this marker); To Gwynn's Island (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloucester.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176002

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 29, 2021