Midtown in San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old San Pedro Springs
Near this site - noted camping spot 5 miles from city. Used by U.S. Army, Mexican War, 1846-48. Often scene of summer picnics and political speeches, 1850's.
On surrender to Confederate Texans of all federal troops in state, it was site of prisoner of war camp for a short time. For quarters, prisoners built dugouts and brush arbors.
Later, campsite for Confederate soldiers moving toward western frontier, for troops of Arizona-New Mexico campaign, for units coming from the Rio Grande to new assignments, and for raw recruits in camps of instruction.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3806.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil.
Location. 29° 26.786′ N, 98° 29.969′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. It is in Midtown. Marker is on San Pedro Avenue, 0.1 miles north of West Myrtle Street, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 San Pedro Avenue, San Antonio TX 78212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Committee on Public Safety (a few steps from this marker); Otto Koehler House (approx. ¼ mile away); Kings Highway Camino Real — Old San Antonio Road (approx. ¼ mile away); David J. and May Bock Woodward House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Women's Club of San Antonio (approx. ¼ mile away); Roy and Madge Hearne House (approx. 0.3 miles away); L.B. Clegg House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jay Adams House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.