Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Poplar Lawn is now known as Central Park. Here the Petersburg Volunteers camped in October 1812, before leaving for the Canadian border. Here Lafayette was greeted with music and speeches in 1824. The place was bought by the city in 1844. Volunteer companies enlisted here, April 19, 1861. In the siege of 1864-65 a hospital stood here.
Virginia Conservation & Development Commission
For the City of Petersburg 1931
Erected 1931 by Virginia Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number QA-5.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812 • War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 13.322′ N, 77° 24.061′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) and East Fillmore Street, on the right when traveling north on South Sycamore Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Hospital (a few steps from this marker); Drilling Ground McKenney House (about 500 feet away); Earliest Known Public High School for African Americans in Virginia (about 600 feet away); Peabody High School (about 700 feet away); Weddell-McCabe-Chisholm House (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prince Hall Masons in Virginia (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,268 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 3, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 5. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 6. submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.