Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison Area in Grand Rapids in Kent County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Andrew's Cemetery

 
 
St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 4, 2021
1. St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  On August 5, 1852, Father Charles Louis DeCeuninck purchased ten acres of land for the formation of Saint Andrew’s Cemetery. The land was deeded to Bishop Lefevere on December 7, 1852. It was the first permanent Catholic cemetery in Grand Rapids. Louis Campau, the founder of Grand Rapids, and his wife, Sophie DeMarsac Campau, are buried in Saint Andrew’s. Also buried here are Father Andrew Viszoczky, an early priest of Grand Rapids and the pastor of Saint Andrew’s Church, and John Clancy, a lumberman and philanthropist.
 
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1593.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 5, 1852.
 
Location. 42° 56.777′ N, 85° 39.397′ W. Marker is in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in Kent County. It is in the Madison Area. Marker is at the intersection of Prince Street Southeast and Prince Street Southeast, on the right when
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
traveling north on Prince Street Southeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Madison Ave SE, Grand Rapids MI 49507, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gerald R. Ford Boyhood Home / President Gerald R. Ford (approx. 0.3 miles away); May House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Castle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Catholic Central High School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Andrew School Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bishop Frederic Baraga (approx. 0.9 miles away); Voigt House (approx. one mile away); Boy Scout Troop 15 / Eagle Scout Gerald "Junior" Ford (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
 
St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 4, 2021
2. St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker
St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 4, 2021
3. St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176450

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024