Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office
The three southern bays of the building were added between 1908 and 1910. In 1938, the building was renovated as part of a Works Progress Administration project to become Petersburg’s City Hall, and retains that use today.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 37° 13.8′ N, 77° 24.324′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of West Tabb Street and North Union Street, on the left when traveling west on West Tabb Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul's Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Corling's Corner (about 700 feet away); Golden Ball Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lt. Col. Howard Baugh, Tuskegee Airman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Formation of the Southern Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Two Noted Homes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early English Exploration (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,346 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.