Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jewell in Jewell County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fort Jewell

Built May 13-14, 1870

 
 
Fort Jewell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 5, 2021
1. Fort Jewell Marker
Inscription.  
Twenty-eight settlers, organized as the Buffalo Militia, built Fort Jewell following the killing of three white men at the milldam on the Solomon River.

Sod was used for fort walls, which were four feet thick, seven feet high, enclosing a space fifty yards square, four blocks due east of this memorial.

Erected in honor of the pioneer settlers
of Jewell County by
Desire Tobey Sears Chapter D. A. R.
1934

 
Erected 1934 by Desire Tobey Sears Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 13, 1870.
 
Location. 39° 40.182′ N, 98° 9.33′ W. Marker is in Jewell, Kansas, in Jewell County. Marker is on Delaware Street (Kansas Route 28) just east of South Custer Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located near the southwest corner
Fort Jewell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 5, 2021
2. Fort Jewell Marker
(looking northeast • Maag Memorial Park in background)
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Maag Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 Delaware Street, Jewell KS 66949, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waconda Springs / Glen Elder State Park (approx. 14.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Erection of Fort Jewell. The settlers of Jewell City community were interrupted in their tasks of breaking prairie, building cabins, digging "dugouts" and otherwise improving their claims on May 12, 1870, by the message of couriers that the Cheyennes were again on the warpath and had killed three white men working on a mill dam on the Solomon river at the present site of Glen Elder. At daybreak on the following day, twenty-eight settlers had gathered at "Hoffer's shanty" near the forks of Buffalo Creek, organized a company of militia, and at the future town site of Jewell City commenced the erection of a sod fort. (Submitted on July 9, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Fort Jewell (1870). The post was named in honor of Lieutenant-Colonel Lewis R. Jewell of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, who died during the Civil War of wounds received in the battle of Cane Hill, Arkansas. It was built and defended by 28 local settlers, who organized themselves as the "Buffalo Militia." The local volunteers were relieved in June,
Jewell Centennial Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 5, 2021
3. Jewell Centennial Plaque
(mounted on ground in front of marker)
Jewell Centennial
1870 • 1970
Celebrated Oct. 3, 1970
1870 by a Company of U.S. soldiers who remained until Fall. (Submitted on July 9, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176765

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 29, 2021