Near Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Due West Community
Cleburne’s Div., Confederate, was posted at the ch., the left of Johnston’s line [CS] after the withdrawal of Polk’s corps [CS] from Lost Mtn., June 9. Confronting Cleburne were the 23d A. C. and Butterfield’s (3d) Div., 20th A. C. [US]
Due to pressure on his extended front, Johnston swung Hardee’s Corps [CS] back to the Mud Creek line E. of Sandtown Rd., June 16.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 58.204′ N, 84° 39.828′ W. Marker is near Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Kennesaw Due West Road NW 0.2 miles east of Due West Road Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 667 Kennesaw Due West Road NW, Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Gilgal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Action at Gilgal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Dickson House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Reversed Trench (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Pine Knob (approx. ¾ mile away); Green Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Sandtown Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Captain Peter Simonson (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,604 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.