Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marine City in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Greenwood Cemetery

 
 
Greenwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, November 11, 2020
1. Greenwood Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  In 1856 Detroiters Eber Brock and Mary Ward deeded approximately one and one-half acres of land along the Belle River to establish Greenwood Cemetery. As a result of several additions, the burial ground comprised 14.2 acres by 1922. Renamed Woodlawn around 1901, the cemetery is reminiscent of Victorian era perpetual care lawn cemeteries. A draped obelisk and a pedestaled larger-than-life-size maiden holding a bouquet of flowers exemplify monuments popular during this period. Ohio architect John P. Schooley designed the sandstone public mausoleum, constructed in 1929. The remains of several prominent people are interred here including Sydney McLouth, president of the McLouth Foundry. In 1991 concerned citizens contributed to the Woodlawn Cemetery Seawall Fund, which paid for the river wall that protects the cemetery from erosion.
 
Erected 1996 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1969.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is
Greenwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, November 11, 2020
2. Greenwood Cemetery Marker
The Woodlawn Cemetery Monument is to the left of the historical marker. A Columbarium is located to the right of the marker. The Mausoleum is shown in the background to the right of the marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 42° 43.469′ N, 82° 29.723′ W. Marker is in Marine City, Michigan, in St. Clair County. Marker can be reached from Pleasant Street north of Westminster Street, on the left when traveling north. Located on the grounds of Woodlawn Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 444 Pleasant St, Marine City MI 48039, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marine City (approx. 0.3 miles away); Heritage Square Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); David and Laura Lester House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Newport Academy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pêche Island Rear Range Light (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holy Cross Parish (approx. 0.8 miles away); East China Fractional District No. 2 School (approx. 2 miles away); St. Clair River Habitat Restoration (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marine City.
 
Monument Dedicated to Community War Heroes image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, November 11, 2020
3. Monument Dedicated to Community War Heroes
The Woodlawn Cemetery sign is shown in the background, just inside the entrance to the cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176823

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021