Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Dominic and Columbia Bonafede lived in and ran an Italian fruit market and grocery store in this building, constructed adjacent to her family's properties in 1926. They were known for selling excellent Italian bread made in Clarksburg, West Virginia and Washington apples. At one time there was also a small restaurant. Dominic owned a saloon called the Columbia on Latrobe Street as well.
After Dominic's death in 1931, Columbia continued to run the store. Her apartment in the upper floors was known to be very luxurious, complete with a wine cellar. She lived there until her death in 1968 at age 88.
The Bonafede Building was later home to a Studebaker dealership.
Erected by West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 39° 20.486′ N, 80° 1.42′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on West Main StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 241 West Main Street, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forcella Buildings (a few steps from this marker); Grafton Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Latrobe Street (about 300 feet away); B&O Freight Station (about 400 feet away); Welcome To Historic Grafton West Virginia (about 400 feet away); Grafton (about 500 feet away); Colerider Block (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.