Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Col. Guilford Dudley Bailey
— The Fallen Union Officer for Whom the Battery Was Named —
Artist's Conception of Battery Bailey, Circa 1862.
Defending the City of Washington
During the Civil War between 1861 and 1865, the Army of the Potomac had a two-fold mission: to defeat the Confederate Army and to defend the City of Washington against enemy attack. To prepare for the possibility of enemy attack, military fortifications connected by lines of earthworks or batteries were constructed on hastily chosen sites around the perimeter of the City at approximately one half mile intervals. By 1864, the Defenses of Washington consisted of over 150 enclosed forts and batteries.
The most westerly fort of the line was Fort
By the end of the War, lest History repeat itself, Army engineers recommended that Washington keep some of the defenses in order. Initially some 24 installations, including Fort Sumner, were deemed worthy of retention with the possibility that the list be further shortened in the future. As the list continued to dwindle and properties returned to rightful owners, time and weather worked to diminish the batteries.
What is a Battery?
Battery - a fortification formed by moving earth or other materials into hill-like formations to protect artillery, having the following components:
Parapet - an elevation of earth that protects soldiers from attack.
Terreplain - the level ground area on the interior of a battery.
Banquette - a step on the inside of the parapet where a soldier can stand to fire a weapon.
Embrasure - an opening in the parapet usually with a platform to permit the stabilization and firing of a large weapon.
Barbette - a raised platform that allows weapons to be fired over the parapet.
Erected by Montgomery County Park Commission, Department of Parks.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 57.135′ N, 77° 6.582′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Elliott Road 0.4 miles west of Ashfield Road, on the right when traveling west. Elliott Road ends at the entrance to Westmoreland Hills Community Park, and the panels are off the paved foot path from the north edge of the parking area, adjacent to the restored earthworks. Elliott Road is accessible from Massachusetts Avenue (Maryland Route 369) via Duvall Drive in southern Bethesda, a few blocks northwest of Western Avenue/Dalecarlia Resevoir Parkway, Northwest, across the District of Columbia border. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5315 Elliott Road, Bethesda MD 20816, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battery Bailey (a few steps from this marker); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 5 (approx. half a mile away); Fort Sumner (approx. 0.7 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 6 Lockhouse 6 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Washington and Glen Echo Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); A Way for Fish (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Bayard (approx. one mile away in District of Columbia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
More about this marker. On panel 1 is a portrait of Col. Guilford Bailey. Panel 2 displays an Artist's Conception of Battery Bailey, Circa 1862, from the files of the National Archives. On panel 3 is a map showing Approximate locations of Civil War defenses in Montgomery County, Maryland. Also there is a photo captioned surveying the Potomac River: Soldiers of duty at Battery Alexander, near Fort Sumner. On panel 4 are photos showing nearby Battery Parrot: The Remnants are located in the 2400 Block of Foxhall Road, NW [Washington, D.C.], (Photo from the National Archives collection). In the lower left is a photo of An Unidentified Battery in the Still Picture Collection at the National Archives, Washington, D.C. The Westmoreland Hills Garden Club generously funded these interpretive signs.
Additional keywords. Westmoreland Hills
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,665 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on April 6, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 9, 10, 11. submitted on February 6, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 12, 13. submitted on February 7, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.