Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knoxville in Crawford County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Federal Wire Road

 
 
Federal Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 27, 2007
1. Federal Wire Road Marker
Inscription.  This highway, created by an act of Congress in 1810, entered the state at Augusta passing through Warrenton, Sparta, Milledgeville, Macon and Knoxville to Coweta Town (Columbus). It was formerly known as the Stage Coach Road. A telegraph line, the first that connected New Orleans with Washington, D.C., was erected in 1848. The wires paralleled this road between Columbus and Macon, giving to this section of the old highway the name of “The Federal Wire Road.” This telegraph line was also the first one to be erected in the State of Georgia.
 
Erected by Works Progress Administration (WPA). (Marker Number 22 K-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
 
Location. 32° 43.475′ N, 83° 59.883′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Georgia, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of East Cruselle Street (U.S. 80) and Courthouse Square
Federal Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 27, 2007
2. Federal Wire Road Marker
This is the other side of the marker, with part of the old Crawford County Courthouse visible.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, on the right when traveling east on East Cruselle Street. Marker is at the northwest corner of the old Crawford County Courthouse (1831-32 square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville GA 31050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crawford County (a few steps from this marker); Alexis de Tocqueville (a few steps from this marker); Joanna Troutman (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bartram Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named William Bartram Trail (approx. ¾ mile away); Colonel Benjamin Hawkins (approx. 0.8 miles away); Clarence Moseley “Ribs” Peel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Creek Agency (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
 
Federal Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Brown, November 14, 2009
3. Federal Wire Road Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,085 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on November 30, 2009, by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=17702

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022