Newport in Lincoln County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Reeling Them In
(top left): Halibut catch, Ollie S, 1912.
(middle left): Bayfront fish packing companies, 1947; New England Fish Co. employees (inset), ca. 1950.
(bottom left): Mystic, 1946.
(top right): Commercial fishing fleet, 1931.
(middle right): Norma J. 1936. In the 1930s, boats like the Norma J. were refitted for sport fishing.
(bottom right): Bayfront docks, 1939.
Erected by Port of Newport.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2320 SE Marine Science Drive, Newport OR 97365, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Protecting the Coast (here, next to this marker); South of the Bay (here, next to this marker); Shipping News (a few steps from this marker); Bridging the Waters (a few steps from this marker); Bayfront Beginnings (a few steps from this marker); United States Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat CG 36503 (approx. half a mile away); Yaquina Bay Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Yaquina Bay Light (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.