Huntingdon in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Little House
This miniature Victorian house was built for a parade float that the Cottage Planing Mill entered in one of the Huntingdon County Centennial parades. The three-day celebration of the county's 100th anniversary included several parades featuring different segments of community activity. The Cottage Planing Mill displayed two floats in a parade that highlighted the products and services of local businesses and industries. On one float they constructed a small log cabin, labeling it "A House of Long Ago." On the other they built this example of their skill in building an up-to-date house— "The Modern House of Today."
The Cottage Planing Mill, established in 1867 by Thomas Burchinell, was an important local industry during the sustained building boom that Huntingdon experienced after the Civil War. Burchinell had been a Master Mechanic for the PRR and constructed the Logan House in Altoona. The planing mill he founded was destroyed by fire in 1890.
For a hundred years following the County Centennial in 1887, the Little House stood in the yard of the planing mill superintendent's residence at the corner of 10th & Mifflin
Soon a crew of county workers and a dedicated group of Historical Society volunteers were at work rehabilitating the little structure for its appearance in the County Bicentennial parade and its transfer to the Society's garden. Local contractors, L.C. Anderson & Sons and D.W. Miller, provided the crane, which lifted the little house from its former foundation, and the lowboy on which the house rode in the parade. A work crew from the State Correctional Institution built a new foundation on which Anderson's crane placed the little house, as you see it now.
Erected by Huntingdon County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 40° 29.036′ N, 78° 0.647′ W. Marker is in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, in Huntingdon County. Marker is on South 4th Street just north of Allegheny Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 S 4th St, Huntingdon PA 16652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Milepost (here, next to this marker); William E. and Margaret Whittaker McMurtrie (here, next to this marker); 100 South 4th Street (a few steps from this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad Artifacts (a few steps from this marker); 107 South 4th Street (a few steps from this marker); 113 South 4th Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 401 Allegheny Street (within shouting distance of this marker); McMurtrie Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntingdon.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.