Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

From Liveries to Taxis

 
 
From Liveries to Taxis Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 10, 2021
1. From Liveries to Taxis Marker
Inscription.  
Walker's, opened in 1907, was one of the city's largest liveries, with more than thirty horses and a wide variety of buggies, wagons, and sleighs for rent. Adelbert Walker lived next door and took great pride in his two teams of white Arabian horses used for funerals. At that time most Ann Arborites walked to stores, school, and work or paid 5 cents to ride the streetcars.

In 1914 Walker auctioned off his horses and equipment and joined the trend to automobiles. Like liveries, taxis met passengers at the depot and transported baggage, now at the speed of up to fifteen miles per hour. By 1921 one could go by cab to the Michigan Union, Hill Auditorium, or anywhere in town for only 25 cents. Walker's closed in 1946.

Sponsored by First Martin Corporation
 
Erected by Ann Arbor Historical Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
 
Location. 42° 16.759′ N, 83° 44.535′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is at the intersection of East Liberty Street and Maynard Street, on the right when traveling east on East Liberty Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 540 East Liberty Street, Ann Arbor MI 48104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Uptown Theaters (here, next to this marker); Michigan Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Ideation Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The James Foster House of Art (about 400 feet away); Town and Gown: Entertainment and Changing Culture (about 400 feet away); The 19th-Century Neighborhood (about 500 feet away); At Home in the 19th Century (about 500 feet away); Residential Life in Mid-19th Century Ann Arbor (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
 
From Liveries to Taxis Marker — top images image. Click for full size.
Photos courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library.
2. From Liveries to Taxis Marker — top images
Walkers's Livery, 515 East Liberty Street, ca. 1912
Top left insert caption: Merchant's Delivery, behind Walker's on Washington Street, was Ann Arbor's leading delivery service from 1908 to 1947. It also switched from horses to trucks. The building was torn down for a parking structure.
Top right inset caption: Panorama of East Liberty looking west, 1912. Walker's Livery is circled.
Bottom right image caption: Lew Hammond drives a cutter from Walker's Livery in the winter of 1910. Walker was then living in the house at left.
From Liveries to Taxis Marker — bottom left image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library.
3. From Liveries to Taxis Marker — bottom left image
Mechanics and drivers in front of Walker's Taxi Cab Company around 1916 — after the horses were gone.
From Liveries to Taxis Marker — bottom right image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library.
4. From Liveries to Taxis Marker — bottom right image
At a time when gasoline cost only 55 cents for ten gallons, a cabby reported that football days were a bonanza in the 1920s. A driver of one of Walker's Red Top Cabs could pack six riders in the back seat, two more in the front, and two on each running board.
From Liveries to Taxis Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 10, 2021
5. From Liveries to Taxis Marker
This marker is the one on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177083

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024