Branford in Suwannee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Steamboating on the Suwannee
In the late 19th century, steamboats docked regularly at the old depot in Branford (originally called Rowland's Bluff) when the settlement was a major port on the Suwannee River. From here the steam powered vessels carried the region's cotton, lumber, and naval stores to market. In 1882, the depot also became the terminus for the Live Oak and Rowland's Bluff Railroad. Steamboat traffic ended on the Suwannee before 1920, but the depot continued in use as a railroad station for many years. The wrecks of the steamboats "Madison", the "City of Hawkinsville" and others that lie on the river's bottom are reminders of a vanished era. In 1982, the Branford Shrine Club purchased the depot from the S.C.L Railroad and moved it to its present site for use as a club house and community center.
Florida Heritage Site
Erected 1995 by Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-365.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Branford FL 32008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Chief is Seized (approx. 10.1 miles away); Ichetucknee Springs (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,462 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. 3. submitted on September 19, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.