Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Courthouse / Brooks Memorial Fountain

 
 
First Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
1. First Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
First Courthouse
Established in 1829, Calhoun County made Marshall its county seat in 1831. It built its first courthouse on this site between 1837 and 1840. Designed in the Greek Revival style, the building had a rectangular footprint with four columns on each end. Structural problems became apparent in 1855 when a column collapsed. In 1872, after county offices had moved to nearby buildings, the courthouse was demolished. The city repurposed the site into a park featuring a bandstand and a fish pond.

Brooks Memorial Fountain
In October 1929, Marshall’s mayor, Harold C. Brooks, announced his gift to the city of an “electric fountain” in memory of his late father, Charles E. Brooks. Architect Howard F. Young, landscape engineer Herman Swanson, and engineers from General Electric collaborated on the design. At its dedication, on April 26, 1930, some seven thousand people applauded with “exclamations of surprise” and “wonderment” when the mayor’s son, Craig, turned on the fountain and its multi-colored lights.
 
Erected 2017 by Michigan Historical
Brooks Memorial Fountain Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
2. Brooks Memorial Fountain Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Commission - Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2287.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureParks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 42° 16.323′ N, 84° 57.837′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and South Kalamazoo Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 323 W Michigan Ave, Marshall MI 49068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Ave. (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Tree Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Stone Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Isaac E. Crary House (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Honolulu House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
First Courthouse / Brooks Memorial Fountain Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
3. First Courthouse / Brooks Memorial Fountain Marker
Brooks Memorial Fountain image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
4. Brooks Memorial Fountain
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on July 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177324

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022