Fort Pierre in Stanley County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Follow this arrow 1.3 miles and .3 mile to right is monument to Fort Pierre Choteau, fur capital of N. W. from 1831-55; when purchased by the U. S. it became Military Post where Gen. W. S. Harney had famous council of 1856 with Sioux Indians.
On .7 mile and .5 mile to left is family graveyard of Scotty Philip, cattle and buffalo pioneer of west river country. Site of famous of buffalo herd.
Beyond that on river side are sites of Fort Galpin, 1857, New Fort Pierre, 1859-66 and several Fort Aricara villages 1400-1790. Over and beyond the dam were sites of Ft. LaFrombois II, 1862-65, Ft. Primeau, 1862 and old Aricara fortress.
Erected 1955 by Ft. Pierre National Bank; State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 43.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 44° 22.296′ N, 100° 23.42′ W. Marker is in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in Stanley County. Marker is on U.S. 14 east of Boomer Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Pierre SD 57532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. South Dakota Railroads (approx. 0.8 miles away); John C. Waldron (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Deadwood Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); American Indians and the Fur Trade (approx. one mile away); Fort Pierre Chouteau (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Pierre Train Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Pierre Chouteau and the "Yellow Stone" (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rivers and Trails (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Pierre.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on July 16, 2021. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.